Shamrock Step Stool

These old little step stools are easy to find for a few dollars and can be used in so many ways. My green one, shown above, is very primitive and delightfully imperfect. It has been used as a side table stacked with books, a tray, a foot stool, and a step to reach a higher shelf. It was pink when I found it. I used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, starting with a coat of Aubusson Blue, followed by some Florence. Antibes Green was mixed with Old White in various strengths for the top coat.

Here is another view:




I have had many questions about my "layering" technique.  I may do a post with step by step photos, but honestly, there are so many great tutorials already available on painting techniques.  Layering is just a word I  use to describe the process of painting on coats of different colors, to achieve depth and texture. It is the the finish that comes naturally on many vintage pieces and antiques.  I am trying to create that look of age and wear on pieces that may or may not be old. 

Before Annie Sloan Chalk Paint became available in the U.S., I used mostly oil-based paints, along with various stains,  dyes, glazes, shellacs, lacquers, and varnish. It works well, but it is labor intensive, takes a long time to dry, and you must use solvents. I have tried creating this, for lack of a better word, distressed finish, with latex and acrylics and was not satisfied with the results.  Annie Sloan Chalk Paint has made it possible  create a vintage looking finish, easily, quickly, and on a variety of surfaces.

I will continue to detail and explain my process in later posts. You can also leave comments and questions in the comment section, or contact me by email. I will respond as quickly as I can. 
Thanks for reading and following,

Leslie
lesliest4@gmail.com


For more little stools and benches see these posts you may have missed:  On the Bench,  Upholstered Bench,  and  Pretty in Pink.


No comments:

Post a Comment