Shades of Old Violet




I have been working on color studies of shades of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. Shades are made by mixing varying amounts of black, or in this case Graphite, with any color.  This is one of the ideas I have been considering for an old dresser using shades of Old Violet.   When mixing Graphite to make shades it is important to remember that it is not a true black. Rather it is a dark charcoal, with strong blue undertones. Any shades will become slightly more blue in addition to becoming darker. Notice how green Arles and English Yellow become as increasing amounts of Graphite are added. It is not necessarily a negative, just something to keep in mind.












2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a gorgeous idea! I am a huge blue person...even when i want to consciously look for other colors, my eye is drawn to all things blue (much to the annoyance of my husband! )

    Just came across your blog today for the first time and your thoughts and ideas are really inspiring. Thank you for your colour studies. There are many sites that paint furniture, but not many really discuss colour to the same depth and you do and I really appreciate that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Irene, I'm a blue person too and if I'm not careful i would paint everything some shade of blue. I've had to work hard to find ways to introduce other colors in my home. Most often when I paint items for my clients they bring me a picture to work from. It's helped me see other colors as options.. Thanks for following, and taking the time to comment, Leslie

    ReplyDelete