Trying Something New





There seem to be certain colors and finishes that I paint more frequently than others. So I am always on the lookout for inspirations for new ideas. The photo of this distinctive and beautiful door was found on Pinterest and it challenged me to think how I would duplicate it using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint®.

In order to recreate this soft, translucent blue, each color would be applied as a wash, even the first coat. Aubusson Blue brushed on first, followed by  mixes of Aubusson Blue and Paris Grey, and Aubusson Blue and Provence also applied as washes. Primer Red would be added very sparingly in an even more diluted wash.

Whenever I am trying something new, I know I am not going to get it right in the first application. It always involves reevaluating, adding more paint, and taking off some paint. And there is never just one correct method. Different techniques in various combinations can yield similar results. Paint can be removed with a wet or dry towel, sponge, newspapers, plastic, sandpaper.... You can use a wet or dry brush to blend the colors. There are always options.

Enjoy yourself, have fun with the process. If it becomes frustrating, stop and a take a break from it. Sometimes all you need are fresh eyes, to see it differently. And sometimes unpredictable results can be even better than what you set out to do originally. That is what I love about Chalk Paint.... you can just keep painting until you  like it.

If you love blue as I much as I do, check out my posts, Chinese Apothecary Cabinet where I use a combination of ASCP blues, Country Blue Wardrobe  and how to make a Denim Blue.

I like Annie Sloan Chalk Paint  for my craft and furniture projects, but for walls nothing compares to Pure & Original Fresco Lime Paint. I love the natural variations of shades and tones the lime creates within one paint color. You have to see how gorgeous it is! Checkout my most recent interior design make overs with Fresco. It can be purchased online at www.502paint.com

Bohemian inspir
P.S  Pure and Original also makes a chalk based paint called Classico in 140 colors! Its amazing too!
12357029_1656390691305874_742157543163796326_o


11 comments:

  1. Blending, washes, & dry brush techniques are the most challenging for me because I paint with a heavy hand. Thanks for sharing your tips and encouragement! Wonderful post!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robin,
      Thanks so much for reading my post and taking the time offer your support. I have to laugh because I think I started working in lighter layers because I am so bad at sanding. I seem to always end up at the bare wood and have to start over. :)
      Leslie

      Delete
  2. Yes. Your ideas are inspiring and exciting. I love the idea of trying all washes of varying degrees of translucence. So creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a favorite blue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like muted blues more than clear bright blues.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the insight and information... On ways to use chalk paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And many thanks for all of your comments... it's what keeps me going (blogging).
      Leslie

      Delete
  5. You are always so inspiring, Leslie. Thank you for helping us all "step outside the box" with our creativity and thinking. :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never thought about combining colors to do a wash. What a great idea! This door is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look of this! I never would have thought of washing with chalk paint. Can I ask what the initial color of the door was?

    ReplyDelete