Weathered Zinc


Today's post is a follow-up to Monday's Patina and Verdigris. I appreciate everyone's patience as I continue to learn how much information is too much and how much is not enough. My mailbox was full of questions so I'm going to interpret that as not enough.

When I first started using Annie Sloan Chalk Paint there were very few retailers(stockists) in the US. Virginia Weathersby of The Southern Institute of Faux Finishing was one of the few who sold it online. Many times included in my orders were suggestions for new projects with step by step instructions.  One of the projects was for an outdoor planter. I don't remember all the details, but basically, you painted your planter with 2 coats of Graphite and maybe another color.  The instructions were very clear to not use wax on anything left outside. I tried this on a few planters and they looked great not only that summer but every year since.

I have also painted wrought iron tables and chairs, a porch swing, my potting bench, plastic pots and many light fixtures with Chalk Paint.  I am never disappointed. The light below was originally a plated brass, that had seen better days. Graphite was used as the base coat (no primer or sanding). Since I wanted this to have a weathered zinc look, more blue, I used mostly Louis Blue and Louis Blue mixed with Provence and Old White. If you want a copper, verdigris(turquoise), color you can use Florence, Provence or Duck Egg Blue. For highlights use a mix of Old White and your color and brush it on the edges.  Fast and easy.









5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the extra detail. I look at your beautiful creations and wonder "How did she do that?" !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lucinda,
    I'm always happy to share more details,
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this with the details! Light bulbs are going off :) Hope you have a great day! -- Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's just beautiful, Leslie. I love the projects you work on - and that you share how you accomplish them. Thank you!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie,
      Thanks so much, you are very inspiring to me!,
      Leslie

      Delete